Safeguard Old State — The Sentinel » ‘Students For Real Advocacy’ Folds; Cash Goes To UPUA

A feed could not be found at http://director.safeguardoldstate.org

The Sentinel

An Eye on the Penn State Administration

‘Students For Real Advocacy’ Folds; Cash Goes To UPUA

Editor’s Note: This blog post originally appeared on the website of “Safeguarding Traditions Of Penn State,” which was the precursor to Safeguard Old State. It appears here for posterity.

***

In news that has been expected for some time now, Galen Foulke and Andrew Reeve has announced the dissolution of their pet group, Students for Real Advocacy (SRA). Formed last spring after Foulke’s unconstitutional referendum failed to garner the required support within USG, SRA was meant to financially and vocally call for the destruction of USG and implementation of UPUA.

Looking just at the goal of Foulke and Reeve (the destruction of USG) it’s clear they’ve not accomplished their task. For all intents and purposes, though, they did a pretty nice job of hoodwinking the student body into swallowing the hideous beast that is diminished student rights at Penn State University.

For what it’s worth, UPUA is now the “official voice” of the student body, at least according to President Graham Spanier and the woman we all know and love, Dr. Vicky Triponey. Students for Real Advocacy was able to quickly rise to prominence last semester after receiving an anonymous donation of $3,000 from Mr. Stan Latta, Director of Union and Student Activities.

According to sources outside of STOP, that anonymous donated $3,000 came from Galen Foulke’s mother, though we can been unable to independently confirm this claim. Regardless, the dissolution of SRA is no surprise to those who have their fingers on the pulse of student government at Penn State.

The money left over after last semester’s sham referendum and this fall’s joke of an election for UPUA is being donated to – you guessed it – the fledgling University Park Undergraduate Association. The thing that’s important to take away from this news is really a reminder about the lack of character of Galen Foulke.

Foulke was elected by the student body to two consecutive terms as USG President with the intent to reform the organization to make it more effective. Instead, he ruled for his first year, accomplishing little of note aside from institutional infighting. Once elected to a second term Foulke moved to destroy USG even after taking an oath upon being sworn in to “protect and uphold” the office of the Undergraduate Student Government presidency.

If Galen Foulke’s time at Penn State serves to teach us only one thing, it’s that when oaths and promises to uphold one’s responsibility to others becomes inconvenient or difficult it’s perfectly alright to compromise one’s character. After all, what does independent student governance really matter anyway? Dr. Triponey and the newly created Center for Student Engagement probably do a better job of ruling us anyway.

« | Home | »

Note: The Safeguard Old State Executive Staff does not moderate the comments posted by the public to blog entries. The comments of Safeguard Old State readers do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Safeguard Old State.

Comments