A feed could not be found at http://director.safeguardoldstate.org

The Sentinel

An Eye on the Penn State Administration

SOS Receives $1,827 From Undergraduate Student Government

We’re happy to announce that the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Trust has decided to allocate $1,827.82 of its remaining assests to Safeguard Old State (SOS). The USG Trust was formed in February as a reduced-service organization to conduct the group’s final business before it formally dissolved this past Friday at 8pm.

USG served as Penn State’s student government for over 44 years before Vice-President for Student Affairs Vicky Triponey helped supplant the organization with the University Park Undergraduate Association (UPUA), a handcuffed student advocacy body whose goal was to represent student opinion to administrators, rather than letting students themselves wield any real power over their own affairs.

The UPUA concluded its first year as Penn State’s officially recognized student voice this afternoon, and is itself moving toward becoming a functional student government, as opposed to a limited-service student advocacy body. With USG deciding to invest a portion of its last remaining assets in Safeguard Old State (SOS), our mission is clear, and it is one we intent to fulfill beginning immediately.

In the next few hours, we’ll be announcing the next step for Safeguard Old State. As one chapter of student history closes with USG, another will begin with UPUA; it’s up to student leaders to ensure that they work to Safeguard Old State.

« | Home | »

Note: The Safeguard Old State Executive Staff does not moderate the comments posted by the public to blog entries. The comments of Safeguard Old State readers do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Safeguard Old State.

Comments