A feed could not be found at http://director.safeguardoldstate.org

The Sentinel

An Eye on the Penn State Administration

SOS Sponsors Successful Rally Yesterday At Old Main

a-sos-rally-gavin.PNGSafeguard Old State sponsored its first official event yesterday in the form of a multi-issue event on the steps of Old Main. The rally, which began at noon and lasted a little under an hour, saw activists from a few different student interest groups at Penn State, most notably the supporters of reinstating the “Real Life Choices” program during freshman FTCAP.

Newly named Executive Director of Safeguard Old State Gavin Keirans addressed the crowd with opening remarks, urging them to unite their special interests to make real change happen at University Park. “It’s something like this that might be a wake-up call to students that the administration does strip us of rights,” said Keirans.

Also in attendance were Jordan Cascino, ex-President of Paternoville, who spoke about the amazing grassroots action of students to unite against the ill-conceived football ticket lottery. Cascino closed by pointing out that, in order for sustained change to happen, students needed to continue to rally around worthy goals, like aiding Paternoville in its fight to reestablish itself.

After Cascino, newly inaugurated UPUA President Hillary Lewis addressed the crowd with a prepared speech on Penn State pride, saying that students action against the ticket lottery system had signaled “the end of apathy” at Penn State.

Brittany Reutzel, a sophomore representing those supporting the reinstatement of the “Real Life Choices” program during FTCAP, spoke next. “Incoming freshman students face the highest risk of being sexually assaulted in their first six weeks. We are fed up with not have a voice in decisions that affect the student body.”

Lastly, ex-USG Vice President Patrick Daley took the microphone, highlighting Safeguard Old State as a means to unite a fractured student voice to effectively advocate to the UPUA, the administration and the Board of Trustees to make real, positive change happen for undergraduate students.

Yesterday’s rally was featured by the local NBC affiliate, as well as the Centre Daily Times and The Daily Collegian. The Harrisburg Patriot-News ran a teaser mentioning the rally in its Wednesday edition.

Centre Daily Times: Students Demonstrate To Gain Voice On Issues
The Daily Collegian: Students Celebrate Reversal of Lottery
The Patriot-News: PSU Students Score Victory on Football Ticket Sale

a-sos-rally-lewis.png

« | Home | »

Note: The Safeguard Old State Executive Staff does not moderate the comments posted by the public to blog entries. The comments of Safeguard Old State readers do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Safeguard Old State.

Comments